While the store brand mix is already pretty delicious, it can get a little pricey and we decided to make our own chai tea mix.
Best decision ever! The homemade chai tea is DELICIOUS!
a delicious, spice infused tea! Yum!
· 4 1/2 cups water
· 10 pods cardamom
· 1/2 — 1 tsp. ground pepper
· 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
· 3 sticks cinnamon
· 5 pods star anise
· 10 seeds pimento
· 1 vanilla bean
· 1 stalk lemongrass
· 4 in. ginger
· 2 tbsp. brown sugar or honey
· 10 bags black tea
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the spices and tea bags and boil at a low temperature for about 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and strain the concentrate through a sieve.
- Add the brown sugar or honey and stir to combine.
- Allow the mixture to cool before filling it in little bottles or jars.
- Mix 1 part of the concentrate with 1 part of milk.
- NOTES: Personally I prefer my chai latte with steamed low-fat milk. But you can use regular milk, almond milk, soy milk. Serve your chai hot or on ice. Also, play around with the ingredients to get it perfect for your liking. Stronger, weaker, more spicy.